Area Health Education Center
The Area Health Education Center's (AHEC) mission is to advocate for quality primary and preventive health care delivery to rural and underserved populations by improving distribution of health care professionals through academics and community collaboration.
West Virginia University received its first AHEC grant in 1972 and has expanded to include 5 AHEC centers across West Virginia (Central, Eastern, Northern, Southeastern and Southern).
Each site strives to reach the following goals:
- Facilitate community-based rotations for health professions students (including housing arrangements)
- Organize and lead interdisciplinary teams
- Organize continuing education opportunities for community-based health professionals
- Organize K-12 activities to promote health careers
- Coordinate stipends through the SEARCH Program for students in select disciplines who complete clinical rotations in Health Professions Shortage Areas (HPSAs)
- Coordinate service learning activities in local communities
New River Health works with two AHEC sites (Central and Southeastern) to provide student services in 13 counties:
Clay, Jackson, Kanawha, Roane, Fayette, Greenbrier, Mercer, Monroe, Nicholas, Pocahontas, Raleigh, Summers and Webster.
For more information, please contact Jarod Zelaska, Human Resources Director at 304-469-2905.